Monday, May 21, 2012

Chia Seeds

When I told my husband to sprinkle some Chia seeds on his salad he said, "Chia seeds? Like Chia Pet seeds?" Yup! That would be them! There has been quite the buzz behind these little seeds over the last year or so and for a good reason. Chia seeds have been called the world's healthiest whole food because it contains high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids and also contains significant amounts of protein, fiber and antioxidants. They also help control appetite and boost your energy.

1 tablespoon of Chia
- 2.1 g ALA (alpha-linolenic acid, the plant-based form of omega-3 fats)
- 4 g Fiber
- 2 g Protein
- 58 Calories

Unlike flax seeds, chia seeds are easily digested and don't need to be ground up to receive the benefits. You can eat the whole seeds as a snack, sprinkle them on your salads or other food, add them into your nut butter, mix them in your smoothie, or use them to replace eggs in your baking!
2 tbsp chia + 6 tbsp water = 1 egg

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know you could use them to replace eggs! I'm going to have to give that a try the next time I bake a cake from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be warned that it may not turn out the same. Vegan baking tends to be more dense, or I just haven't mastered it yet!

      Delete
  2. We love chia seeds too! We like to put some in a bottle of water with a squeeze of lime and a squeeze of agave, it's a nice refreshing drink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a bag and have been throwing them in my smoothies! I like how they're a 'soft crunch' :)

    ReplyDelete