Sunday, February 5, 2012

Buckwheat Pancakes



I am currently on a strict diet trying to figure out my babies allergies and part of that diet is avoiding gluten, which as you probably know can be quite challenging! I was introduced to buckwheat a while ago because both my parents avoid gluten for the most part and i fell in love with it! It has a very distinct nutty flavor which may take some people a little getting used to. While many people think that buckwheat is a cereal grain, it is actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb. I was searching for a nice buckwheat pancake recipe and found one here. I changed it slightly

Buckwheat Pancakes
2 cups buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 1/2 cups of almond milk
1 tbsp earth balance, melted

Combine dry ingredients. Melt butter and add milk and the butter to dry ingredients and stir until no more lumps. Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter onto a greased frying pan, cook over medium heat until holes form on the top of the pancake. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds. We enjoyed them with applesauce, peaches, almond butter and jam. So good!

1 comment:

  1. I just found out Camie has celiac disease, so she has to be on a life-long gluten-free diet. So our whole family is switching over as well. I wrote about her symptoms a bit on my blog - but what are your girls symptoms?

    ReplyDelete